The long peppers may sound unfamiliar to some, but not in the ears of the Javanese. In Java it is also known as Java pepper, with the scientific name of Piper Retrofractum Vahl. It is considered as a spice, and is commonly used for jamu, which is a traditional Indonesian herbal drink, hence its nickname is “fits jamu” or pepper jamu. If you want to get more information about long peppers, you are absolutely on the right track! For your information, long peppers grow at a maximum altitude of 600 m with 1,259 mm / year of rain. Anyway, what exactly is a long pepper? Long peppers are also known as Balinese pepper or Indian pepper, following their original roots in South Asia, particularly in India and Sri Lanka. In India, long peppers are called “pippali.” Long peppers have four main functions, especially as a home remedy, cooking ingredient, medicinal herb and a catalyst to improve the effects of other herbs. The benefits of Java long peppers are somewhat similar to the health benefits of Indian long peppers.
As its scientific name suggests, long peppers contain piperine. Piperine is an alkaloid that works as a stimulant for poor blood circulation. Piperine is also found in black pepper and is also responsible for making both spicy. Now here goes the main question; Do long peppers have other uses apart from being spices and a cooking ingredient? Yes, it does, and here are the health benefits of long pepper.
10 Health Benefits of Long Peppers:
1. Good for Liver Ailments:
- At the end of the day, the liver is overworked.
- Long peppers balance the liver’s workload by eliminating toxins that have accumulated in the liver and that have been produced by digesting this type of food.
- Here are also the best quick way to detoxify the liver after several years of drinking.
2. Help to Lose Weight:
- The long pepper has the ability to burn fatty acids similar to other types of pepper without side effects.
- In fact, it is considered a safer and healthier alternative compared to its clinical counterparts.
3. Reduce the Risk of Diabetes:
- Like the health benefits of red rice for diabetics, long peppers help relieve diabetes by regulating the rate of glucose released into the blood system.
- Long peppers also stimulate insulin production.
- That is the main reason why long pepper is highly recommended for diabetic patients.
4. Decrease Bacterial Infection:
- The risk of bacterial infection may be tilted as the daily temperature rises.
- Non-hygienic foods, as well as non-sterile water may be prone to bacterial infection, which causes stomach upset.
- Long peppers can be used to counteract these occurrences.
5. It Serves as a Cough Treatment:
- Long peppers treat a cough making it a simple remedy. This is how you do it:
Step 1: take 1 to 2 grams of the spice and fry them with a little ghee. Ghee is a kind of Indian butter.
Step 2: bring it while it cools.
If ghee is not available, you can use honey instead.
6. Relieves Indigestion:
- The content of long peppers is able to cure digestive problems.
7. Fever Decreases:
- The antiseptic and antiseptic properties of long pepper that can reduce fever or relax the throat.
- You can easily reduce fever by mixing long pepper with a hot bowl of soup.
8. Relieves Toothache:
You can also cure toothache by making a paste with pepper, salt and water.
9. Cure Diarrhea:
Diarrhea can be cured by consuming a long pepper soup.
10. Relieve Asthma:
- Long peppers are an alternative to relieve occasional asthmatic attacks and other asthma symptoms.
- However, you should not use it as a substitute for respiratory medicine.
How to Use Long Peppers for Traditional Cures?
In relation to the above indicators on the health benefits of long pepper, these are simple recipes for making your own long pepper remedy.
1. To Lower the Fever:
- Steps 1 – Prepare 3g of dried long peppers
- Step 2 – Soften until it reaches its softest state.
- Step 3: Infuse with hot water and consume.
Despite its hot taste, it is in fact suitable for both children and adults.
2. It is a Cure for Toothache:
- Step 2: crush them, but not to their mildest form.
- Step 3: prepare it in warm water
- Step 4: use the formula to gargle. Do it regularly until the toothache disappears completely.
3. To Overcome «Masuk Angin»:
“‘Masuk angin is an Indonesian term to describe the unequal distribution of gases within the body characterized by cold-like symptoms”.
It has no direct translation into English, nor a specific knowledge of this “disease,” therefore, to make “masuk angin” is a largely lax term. Long peppers can treat “masuk angin” by following this simple formula:
- Step 1 – Prepare 3g of long peppers, some brown sugar, ginger and “temulawak” (Curcuma Zanthorrhiza).
- Step 2 – Boil until everything softens and add warm water.
- Step 3 – Drink that formula while it is still hot.
4. Prevents Abdominal Spasm:
- Step 1: take 3 long pepper leaves and add a glass of water.
- Step 2: boil the two completely and let it cool for a while.
- Step 3: consume completely.
5. Clean the Postpartum Ovary:
- Step 1: prepare 3 grams of long pepper roots.
- Step 2: add warm water and boil completely.
- Step 3 – Filter the water when you’re done.
- Step 4: consume boiled water until finished. It is suggested to consume it while it is still hot.
Those are just the healthy creations you can make with long peppers. The recipes are not patented so you can easily adjust them to best fit your preferences or requirements. However, it is still highly recommended that you follow exactly what is written above. In addition to the uses of long peppers mentioned above, there will be more below, however, those found below are not specifically categorized by disease.
Generic Long Pepper Recipe:
Step 1 – Boil 150cc of water.
Step 2 – Formulate it with 4 grams of pepper powder.
Step 3: consume while it is hot to get your maximum advantage.
If there are Still Long Pepper Powders, You can Also Use them Like this:
- Fill it inside the capsules for consumption at any time.
- Apply the powders directly on the affected area for toothache.
- Use it to treat swollen gum.
- In addition to health, long peppers are equally useful for planting and soil fertility.
- Thirty-eight uses of long peppers can be obtained by using them in a “jamu” or a traditional herbal beverage, which has the potential to cure virtually everything except the insecticide.
- Long pepper does not work with insecticide because it kills the reaction of the insecticide inside plants.
Those are just the main health benefits of long pepper that may sound unknown to you, especially among the younger ones these days. Either way, I hope it helps!